Sunday, April 26, 2009

Calling Ann Risley!

Since I realized that, unlike my blogs on other sites, these ones are here for all the world to see, I wanted to transmit a message that hopefully will reach its recipient someday...

Ann Risley, where are you?

I wanted to write this for a while, because in the many years I've spent researching SNL, I've come to the conclusion that if any major castmember has been horribly overlooked, it's Ann Risley.


Hired as part of the unfortunate 1980 cast, Ann's time on "Saturday Night Live" was cut short after only twelve episodes when, during the transition to Dick Ebersol's reign as executive producer, she was replaced by then-current "SCTV" cast member Robin Duke. Sadly, as all twelve of her episodes fell under NBC's lame idea to limit the rerun exposure of episodes that fell below SNL's ever-changing quality standards, Ann's work went unnoticed by most fans who didn't see the shows when they aired live. Even her lone photo in the "SNL: The First Twenty Years" book got cropped off the page... respectful network they are, huh?

The truth is, like several other cast members from that era, Ann showed a lot of potential on the show. Not only was she easily one the best looking women in SNL's history, but she showed split-second comedic timing in the very few sketches were she was given a chance to shine. A good example is "The Toni Tennille Show," from the episode hosted by Ellen Burstyn. This was probably the only sketch were Ann herself had the floor, without being weighed down by other cast members; and her performance is like clockwork. At every cue to do or say something funny, she is right on the mark. It's unfortunate that executive producer Jean Doumanian somehow failed to notice this, often wedging Ann into miscast characters or background roles.

Well, I certainly did notice, and I hope that others reading this will be inspired to track down her episodes and appreciate her work as well. Unfortunately, after SNL, she doesn't seem to have appeared on screen many more times. She currently runs an acting school in Tucson, now going under the name of Anna Risley; and apparently, she doesn't look too fondly upon her brief stint in the late night limelight. I think it's time to change that, and finally give her the credit she deserves.

So, wherever you are, Miss Risley... thank you for brightening those twelve dreary episodes with your talent. You deserved more than what you got from that show, and I hope that fan appreciation will allow you to have a better outlook on the time you spent there.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is teaching acting classes in tucson arizona

Anonymous said...

Visit
the-studio-for-actors.com
Shes a geat teacher

The Rabid Child said...

Oh, I've seen that site before. Are you still one of her students?

I'd be very fascinated to speak with the woman herself if at all possible - she seems to be rather enigmatic as far as SNL alumni go!

Anonymous said...

Her phone number is posted on her web site (http://www.the-studio-for-actors.com/ ). Let her know about your blog and your interest in her career...I'm sure she'll be happy to speak with you. She is still teaching, is still very very funny, and is an excellent acting coach. Her comedy improv classes are fantastic - lots of fun and lots of valuable acting tools. I have been training with her on and off for several years. Don't be shy. Give her a call.

dw71477 said...

She is an excellent comedic actress. This is coming from a young black who saw the shows recently online.

dw71477 said...

She is an excellent comedic actress and has extremely beautiful eyes.

Anonymous said...

She is currently my daughters acting coach and she is wonderful.......

Anonymous said...

I spoke with her on the phone last month. Steve, I think if you called her for an interview over the phone for your blog, it would make her day.

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to be coached by Anna Risely way back in the early 90s. Besides being a great acting teacher/coach, she also prepared us for all aspects of the dynamics of entering into this very difficult field. I remember when I got my first speaking roll in a TV film, thanks to anna's coaching, everything she had taught me to expect upon my arrival at the set was exactly how it went down. I knew where to go, what to do, how to prepare, everything! You have know idea how comforting it is to walk onto a set and not be surprised by all that was about to happen to you. And there is sooooo much more to it than just doing the part. Anna got me ready and then I was able to carry that readiness to all my subsequent parts. If you're "Anna Risely" trained and you want it, you're gonna work.
Joe Redondo

Thoughts From Medford said...

Ann was certainly an underrated "SNL" cast member.