Sunday, November 2, 2008

Shock! Horror! Sesame Street!

I admit it, I was a pretty impressionable kid. I was totally weirded out by things that were too sudden or unexplained. So when I found this little tidbit on an IMDB forum, I suddenly felt better about myself! People were discussing scenes from "Sesame Street" that used to scare them, and these were the more interesting ones... (If I have anything to interject, it'll be in parentheses. Much like this very statement.) Remember any of these?

#1 - Everyone seems to have been terrified by this short bit about the letter "I". It was a little video of a giant steel "I" being made in a steel mill, accompanied by some scary music. (I think I remember this, but would have to see it again to be sure. I heard the music on some Sesame Street fansite, and it seemed to bring it back a little.)

#2 - Kermit the Frog putting big, chattery teeth in his mouth and trying to talk.

#3 - The lost letter L. (I remember this - there was a lady who yelled stuff like, "I lost my L!!" and then another lady showed up and sung a song about it. Not sure what bugged people about the skit, though.)

#4 - "The Word Is No." (Hallelujah!)

#5 - 'Mysterious Theatre' with Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice. (They had a good point... that was pretty bizarre.)

#6 - Bert is exploring a pyramid, and finds a giant statue that resembles Ernie. The Ernie statue has this deep, echoey voice that apparently creeped people out. (I can *kind of* see how it would creep out a kid, but come on, all the statue does is sing "Rubber Duckie"...)

#7 - The Two-Headed Monster. (Why?! That thing was great - one head used to argue with the other head!)

#8 - An opera-singing orange. (Don't remember this; when I try to think about it, I keep getting it confused with Cecille, the orange clay ball.)

#9 - The baker who came out with a stack of pies, and then fell down the stairs. (This was before my time, I think.)

#10 - Humpty Dumpty. Oh God, not Humpty friggin' Dumpty. That thing was freakish; squinty eyes, and a big grinning mouth that didn't move when he talked. I think I'm going to cry now...

#11 - Bert's unibrow.

#12 - Smokey Robinson singing "You Really Got A Hold On Me" while being literally groped by a giant letter U. (Hallelujah again... even to this day, I can't listen to that song without picturing that! I remember buying "The Beatles Anthology 1" as a kid, and hearing their version; I was particularly unsettled that they would sing that, because the tortured memory of Smokey's tryst with the U was still fresh!)

#13 - "Do The Rubber Duck." This is another one that really struck a chord with me when I read about it... why was the room swaying back and forth? Why?!

I have to add one to this melting pot - "We All Sing With The Same Voice." It was the little music video where all these kids on a playground were singing, and they all sounded exactly the same. Weirded me out! (Man, I gots to see that one again...)

No comments: